Spirit and soul
Comments 10

Physical and spiritual cleansing: from fear to love

Does the thought of water fasting frighten you?

It’s completely natural to feel fear before and even during your first few water fasts.  After all, unlike our ancestors, you’ve probably never gone without food for more than a few hours, let alone a few days.  Food is comfort.  Food is pleasure.  And yes, food is addiction.  Taking away food means taking away your emotional foundation.  It means living on your own two feet, without anything to lean on.

Is it worth it?

Absolutely!  Water fasting causes the deepest cleansing both physically to your body, as well as spiritually to your consciousness.  Nothing else can heal every cell of your being to the same degree.

This isn’t always an easy process to begin with.  Just as the emotional tension of everyday life creates tension and pain in the physical body, the opposite also happens – and so the physical detoxification of a water fast can also catalyze an emotional detoxification, especially during your first few water fasts.  What does this mean?  Just as physical detoxification can create aches and pains in your body as toxins are released and expelled, so the emotional and spiritual detoxification of a water fast can sometimes bring up painful memories and feelings buried deep in the subconscious.

Water fasting offers you the opportunity to free yourself from these long forgotten blocks – blocks which otherwise limit your potential as a human being, as well as taking much of the joy out of life.

The first step is always the hardest, but with a little practice and experience, you’ll look forward to the healing metabolism unlocked by water fasting.  The aches and pains of your first few water fasts will disappear, and instead you’ll experience lightness and energy in your physical body.  Likewise, the emotional ups and downs of your first few water fasts will evolve into a deeper and clearer level of consciousness.  States of being and presence which most people experience only in meditation become completely natural while fasting.

And you’ll experience love.

As you begin to release your physical and emotional blocks, a growing feeling of love is inevitable.  Love for yourself and your body.  Love for the world around you.  Love everywhere.  Normally we’re too blinded by our own little dramas, too locked into our stressed-out, cramped little lives to notice.  But love is and always has been here, within us and around us.  It’s the only thing left when you take everything else away.  By taking away food through water fasting, you catalyze this process.  Not a bad reason to begin, don’t you think?

1. Sandy says

So I started Juice fasting a couple of years ago and with it I was able to mend a damaged spine. About 6 weeks ago I gradually started alternating between short water fasts and OMAD Keto diet. Right now I am on day 5 of a water fast. What I have experienced in these 6 weeks is 32lbs of weight loss. Major break out on my face, neck and upper back. Major emotions and memories resurfacing from a long time ago and reevaluating things and seeing things from a totally different perspective. I am looking to go to at least 21 days on this water fast having built up to this and needing to lose another 20lbs, but mostly to get more detox.
    I have hard little fat cysts in my legs I want to get rid of and they are already half the size they were when I started this. I also want to heal any linger damage in my spine that maybe there.
    I have noticed many wrinkles in my face disappearing but I suddenly have little jowls- I am hoping they will go away as I continue.
    I really never knew I could get so much out of fasting. I have built up to the point I am at now and I am excited to finally feel ready to engage in a longer water fast bc up until now I have only done 3 day water fasts repeatedly and one 7 day. I was most surprised by the emotional things that came up but after dealing with them I feel so much better. I had no idea that stuff was hiding in the recesses of my mind.

• Tallis Shivantar says

Thanks for sharing, Sandy 🙂
      You’re absolutely right about those emotions locked inside the body-mind: something that we can let go of while fasting thanks to the emotional cleansing which takes place. Often it takes quite a lot of experience just to get through the physical detox before the emotional toxins start to reveal themselves. But when they do, this is when an even greater level of healing can take place.
      I wish you strength and success on your current journey,

2. Ivi says

Hey. I took a short fast. Was planning to make it 4 days, but I broke it at day 2 ^^ now im planning to do 8-16 fasting with low carb diet for a while. I hope that affects my mood and lets the energy flow better in my body. Also I hope to solve some serious energy blocks. You think intermittend fasting can also be emotionally cleansing or do you need extended water fasting to get the results?

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Ivi,
      Thanks for sharing.
      All water fasting causes cleansing and, to a degree, all fasts are emotionally cleansing too. However, we tend to cleanse starting on the outside, progressing further inwards. On a long water fast, for example, recent physical toxins tend to be cleansed before older toxins. The same applies to physical versus emotional cleansing: it takes place from the outside in. Generally, therefore, over the first few days of a fast the emphasis is on physical cleansing, whereas emotional (and then spiritual cleansing) develop a greater momentum later on. This is especially powerful to watch on a fasting retreat, when everyone is gradually going deeper into themselves from day to day.

So, to return to your question: intermittent fasting simply doesn’t give you enough time to go deep emotionally. A long fast would be more effective for that. Having said this, though, every fast DOES provide a degree of emotional detox, and if you keep it up over the long term, I hope intermittent fasting will provide evidence of this.

3. Is it safe for women to water fast while on their menses? I’m on day two of a water fast and I found that water was making me feel nauseated this morning. Then, I became really dehydrated.

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Lara,

Thanks for your question. The quick answer is yes, it’s definitely safe to water fast while menstruating.

The nausea you experienced was probably caused by the added cleansing effect of your period on top of the cleansing effect of the water fast. It may have simply been too much detox. But you should also know that nausea can kick in on Day 2 of any water fast. In fact, it happened to me a couple of months ago on Day 2 of a 2-week water fast – something which came as a complete surprise, because I normally NEVER feel nauseous. It just shows how unpredictable detox can be!

Another consequence of water fasting during your period can be a stronger flow. Again, the natural cleansing flow of your period is intensified by the cleansing effect of the fast itself.

The worst thing that a water fast can do to you is upset the natural rhythm of your cycle, causing you to miss a period. However, this depends on both the length of a water fast as well as its timing during your cycle. Don’t worry, though: your body should return to its usual rhythm within a month or two. In fact, I’ve heard from women with irregular periods that, over the longer term, water fasting can help to regulate the length of their cycle.

• Tallis Shivantar says

In a word: yes.

Everything has its place in the world, as well as within the world of fasting and cleansing. Water fasting is certainly more powerful than juice fasting, and, personally, I haven’t juice fasted a single time since starting to practise water fasting many years ago. For me, there’s simply no point.

But this isn’t to say that juice fasting isn’t effective. Nor is it to say that it isn’t the right or the best cleanse for other people. For people with less fasting experience, juice fasting can be great precisely because it’s not so intensive and precisely because it doesn’t make such big demands on eating habits and addictions – like giving up ALL food, for instance, in a water fast :-). Especially in this day of instant food and instant gratification , some people simply aren’t ready psychologically to go without food for more than a few hours. That’s okay. By practising juice fasting, you gently train yourself to ‘survive’ without your usual diet, and this can act as a bridge towards water fasting later on.

Juice fasts are also great if you have to work during your fast. I always recommend that people take time off work when water fasting, but there’s really no need if you’re juice fasting. Especially if you’re doing a fruit juice or citrus diet, then the simple sugars actually provide a huge amount of quick energy. It can almost feel like a high!

4. Aryn says

I did my first 5-day water fast almost a year ago. Since then, I’ve done short fasts, but mender linger than 36 hours. All this week I’ve been thinking that I need to do another extended fast, but something was holding me back – fear? Not sure. But then I wake up this morning to multiple blog posts from you filling up my inbox. I think it’s God telling me to do it. Get over my fear and do an extended fast again. I will start tomorrow. Thank you for your words that pushed me!

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Aryn,
      Thanks for sharing. Glad you’ve found the inspiration to do what you already knew in your heart was right :-). At least the onslaught of all those posts helped someone a little!