benefits of fasting

Self-healing: more powerful than any pill

Water fasting is well known for its ability to heal minor ailments.  I myself have recovered from chronic sinusitis, physical injuries including tendonitis and muscle strains, as well as numerous colds and flus.

But what if I told you that water fasting can even cure the incurable?

The fact is that through the healing metabolism unlocked by water fasting, your body can completely heal from a array of serious illnesses which modern Western medicine considers incurable.  Such diseases include: multiple sclerosis (MS), high blood pressure, asthma, Type II diabetes, digestive disorders such as colitis and Crohn’s disease, certain tumors, skin issues such as psoriasis, coronary artery disease… At best, these illnesses seriously complicate life.  At worst, they are terminal: the direct cause of death.

The approach of the modern health industry is twofold.  Firstly, it fights fire with fire.  Drugs aim to manipulate your metabolism, suppressing the symptoms of illness, or to poison out the disease from your body.  Secondly, surgery aims to physically extract the offending element.  These two basic approaches totally fail to take into account the cause of disease.  It’s no surprise, therefore, that so many serious illnesses consequently recur or are simply written off as incurable.

Furthermore, no matter how you look at it, all drugs are poison.  This is the reason that only doctors are allowed to prescribe such ‘medicine’ in the first place!  Any poison running through your system is going to detrimentally affect the system as a whole, not just impact on the specific area affected by disease.  The stronger the poison, the stronger the side-effect to your body as a whole.  How can you truly heal – a word related etymologically to the word whole – when your body as a whole is being poisoned?  How can you heal when, medically, the illness afflicting you isn’t considered in relation to your body as a whole?

I don’t want to write off modern medicine entirely.  In my view, it has its place, especially in managing critically acute situations.  Allowing the body to heal naturally often takes more time than prescription poisons or the knife of surgery.  Personally, I believe that the quick, showy results of modern medicine are the reason for its societal and economic success in the first place, over the last 150 years.  When it comes to dealing with chronic conditions, though, this approach so often fails, plain and simple.

In order to heal from the illnesses listed above, a prolonged healing fast lasting from 14 to 40 days is usually necessary (the approximate length of which usually depends on the specific disease).  During such a fast, your body’s first priority is often to detox any prescription poisons you’ve been taking – because the powerful drugs used to treat serious illness themselves constitute a toxic load to the body.  As these clear out, as the healing metabolism achieved through ketosis deepens, your body’s energy becomes more fully devoted to addressing the illness itself.

While water fasting can never offer a ‘magic pill’, guaranteeing a complete recovery in 100% of the cases 100% of the time, it nevertheless offers realistic hope where otherwise there is none.  And even when complete healing does not occur, water fasting often leads to a significant long-term reduction of symptoms – especially when combined with appropriate nutrition afterwards.

How ironic that I should have to tell you always to ‘consult your doctor’ before undertaking a healing fast.  Still, it’s better than being sued by the big brothers of Big Pharma :-).

1. Shannon Fox says

Hello Tallis,
    I was diagnosed 15 years ago with Hashimoto’s thyroid. I have taken Levothyroxin ever since. I first experienced something I did not understand fully until reading your articles. I had back surgery several months ago and went on a 48 hours water fast prior to my surgery. After my surgery I was on a liquid only diet for 24 hours which consisted of bone broth and green tea and water. What I experienced was that upon resuming my Levothyroxine my levels were now to high and my thyroid was now going hyperthyroid. Even after a month I was still hyperthyroid. My Dr had to adjust my medication twice to get my levels back to where I felt normal. So, in essence I feel like my system had started to heal itself partially. I have done several 24 hours fasts and routinely do intermittent daily 16-20 hour fasts, but I still take my Levothyroxine. Now I wonder if I go further, say a 7-14 day fast, do yo our have you heard of any experience with fasting in regards thyroid function? I have read a several articles on the subject and have only found a couple that advocate fasting to heal a specific case of Hashimoto’s(or any other autoimmune issue for that matter). I feel this is due to western medicine saying that autoimmune diseases are not curable. But, since I tend to disagree I wonder what your thoughts are.

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for writing and sharing your experiences.
      First, autoimmune issues ARE curable through fasting. It’s a simple fact. You’ve read about it. I’ve seen it with my own eyes. I don’t want to say that every autoimmune issue can be fully healed in every case. Certainly, I’ve occasionally encountered cases which don’t respond favourably to fasting alone, but I can tell you that – at least in my experience – fasting almost always improves symptoms, if it doesn’t eventually bring about a recovery to full health.

In general, thyroid conditions tend to be tricky, and this also applies to fasting. Because the thyroid is so sensitive, things can very easily get out of balance as a result of the hormonal reset caused by fasting. However, between hyperthyroidism (such as Graves) and hypothyroidism (such as Hashimoto’s), there’s no question in my mind that people suffering from an underactive thyroid usually respond more easily to fasting. So, in a way, consider yourself lucky – despite the ping-pong effect you experienced after your last fast :-).

I’ve worked online with several people suffering from Hashimoto’s, and in each case an individually tailored fasting program has helped to balance thyroid levels. I don’t want to give you a false sense of security – and, as in any medical case, I’d suggest you discuss everything with an MD who is at least a little knowledgeable about fasting – but I don’t see any reason you shouldn’t consider fasting as a means to restore your health.

• Shannon Fox says

Tallis,
        I want to thank you for the response. So many times when you post a question to a website or blog no one ever answers it.

I spoke to my Dr about fasting to heal or at least strengthen my thyroid condition and got the typical response, “you can’t heal an autoimmune disease all we can hope to do is treat and maintain it at its current state”. Now I don’t believe this anymore than you do so I’m currently on the hunt for a new endocrinologist before I try a longer fast. I need to find one willing to accept the possibility of fasting as a means of healing and who is going to do the the testing necessary to keep on top of my thyroid levels. When I find such a Dr I will definitely get back with you and enlist your assistance.

Thanks again,
        Shannon

• Tallis Shivantar says

You’re welcome, Shannon.
          I think you’re taking the right approach to search for a more sympathetic endocrinologist. Given the sensitivity of thyroid issues, it would definitely be an advantage to be able to stay in touch with a doctor throughout any fast in the future.
          Looking forward to hearing from you later,

2. Franco Catucci says

Tallis , i was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis and pulmonary fibrosis and a sleep disorder by my rheumatologist he prescribed me with humira injections i give myself 2 injections a month with this biologic medication to suppress symptoms. I been taking humira injections now for about 4 months . What would you recommend for a length of fast ??? I wish there was a fasting center here in the city i live in. Have you helped anyone with this diagnosis ? And how was the outcome for this person ? And were they completely healed by water fasting by unlocking the healing metabolism that we pose in our own bodies.. thank you !

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Franco,
      As always, I have to say that it would be irresponsible for me to comment here on the specifics of individual medical cases on a public forum. All I can say is that, in general, arthritis does often respond to fasting – although (in general) rheumatoid arthritis tends to heal more quickly than osteoarthritis. Fasting can also help to heal the scarring associated with the build up of fibrotic tissue, but there are never any guarantees. In general, both arthritis and especially fibrosis will respond best to a long fast, but I want to make it clear that I’m talking about generalities here and not the specifics of your case.