Benefits of fasting
Comments 12

The deepest detox

There are countless diets, techniques and fads designed to help you detox.  Many of these can certainly help, but if you’re really serious about cleansing, the most powerful method is and always has been water fasting (as well as dry fasting).

Why?  Because only through sustaining a zero caloric intake can you fully unlock the body’s healing metabolism.  This takes place in two steps.  The first level of cleansing begins after your body has finished digesting its last meal.  In this respect, what you eat impacts considerably.  While most fruit and vegetables require only an hour or two to digest, meat takes much, much longer – even a day or two.  Once the energy normally applied to digestion is freed up, your body then applies it to detox.  The second and much deeper level of cleansing begins once your body has entered the fat-burning metabolism called ketosis, and this can occur only once your glycogen stores are depleted (as described in the one-day water fast and the three-day water fast).

Other methods can certainly stimulate the detox of specific organs.  Citrus diets, for instance, focus on the liver.  However, unless you specifically need to strengthen or increase the efficiency of a particular organ, such approaches do not address the basic issue.  For the toxins which ultimately cause disease are stored in and released primarily from adipose (fat) tissue not the organs of the body – and the only way to release such toxins is to burn fat through zero caloric intake.

Unless you happen to live far from human civilisation, the air you breathe is full of carcinogens.  Unless you drink water fresh from a mountain spring, the liquid which constitutes 70% of your body weight is full of chlorine, the recycled hormones from contraceptive pills, not to mention a plethora of industrial waste products.  Unless you eat fully organic food, your food is contaminated with pesticides, fungicides and fertilisers.  If you eat meat and dairy products, you can also count on ingesting large quantities antibiotics and artificial growth hormone.  Unless you fully avoid Western medical drugs, you can add the bitter pill of allopathic medicine.  For ultimately, every drug is a poison – this is why overdosing can kill you.  Let’s face it, mankind has poisoned himself along with the planet.  Do you really believe you can escape this?

The fact is, we are all filled with filth.

Does this shock you?  I hope so!  Like it or not, you are going to need to detox at some point in your life.  It’s just a question of when.  The fact is that the human body is incredibly resilient, and it usually takes half a lifetime for your fat cells to fill with toxins to the point of saturation.  But then, like a boat taking on water, there does come a point of no return.  The boat begins to sink.  Your body can no longer safely store the accumulating toxins, and so they begin to circulate freely throughout the body.  Like most people, you can ignore the situation and wait until illness strikes.  At this point, it’s often too late.  Or you can begin now.

When I was young, the thought of cleansing didn’t even cross my mind.  To me, it was something that neurotic health maniacs did.  Then I tried out water fasting and, to my shock, witnessed the filth leaving my body.  My breath stank.  My sweat stank.  My urine stank.  My tongue turned a pasty white and began to literally froth, producing a bitter, metallic taste in my mouth lasting for days.  It was utterly foul.  And because it was so foul, I realised how good it was to free myself from all these toxins.

From that point on, I began to honour my body with fasting.  With experience, I grew more attuned to my body’s inner needs.  You will too.  Your body will begin to speak to you, and you’ll feel an inner urge when it’s time to fast.  It isn’t something you have to force on yourself.  It isn’t something you need to plan out in advance on a calendar.  You’ll know when it’s time.  Increasingly, you’ll look forward to that time.

Your body will love you for it.
And in return you’ll love your body back.

1. Rahul says

Hey Tallis

I am embarked on a 14 day fast and at day 5 at present. I am having an acid reflux and heart burns. Can I use some eno fruit salt in the water or is there any natural alternative?

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Rahul,
      Unless you’re already highly sensitive in everyday life, the most usual cause for acid reflux during a water fast is over-stimulation of the stomach through drinking too much water. My first advice would be to reduce intake and drink only when you’re thirsty. How much are you drinking per day?

• Rahul says

I am drinking about 2.5 litres a day and my acid reflux only gets worse.

• Tallis Shivantar says

For people with reflux 2.5 litres per day is a lot. Unless you’re severely detoxing, you could easily get away with drinking less than half of that per day – at least until the symptoms improve. Most people see their reflux respond pretty quick to a reduction in water consumed, so I’d recommend giving it a go as soon as possible.

2. John Catlin says

Hey Tallis,

I’m curious – have you ever monitored someone on a water fast that was also dealing with a sinus infection? I’m on day 15 of my water fast, and I’ve been fighting sinus congestion throughout these 15 days. Today is the day where I’m finally getting to the tail end of the coughing and wheezing. (Originally, I was going to do a 14 day fast, but now I’m extending it to 21.)

I’ve thought about taking bromelain which is said to help fight sinus issues, but at the same time I still wanted to strictly keep to water. I know you can’t give specific advice, but what are your general thoughts on a situation like this?

Best regards,
    John

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi John,

Yes, sinus infections can take a while to clear up while fasting. Sinus inflammation is also a classic detox symptom during a water fast – something which can last through days if not a week or more. So perhaps you’re experiencing a combination of both of these factors.

I personally prefer to keep my water fasts pure whenever possible, but you also need to be practical. If your sinuses are ruining your life at the moment while fasting, a little bromelain isn’t going to kill you – especially since it’s a natural enzyme and not a synthetic drug. Do be aware, though, that bromelain is only going to treat symptoms and not the root cause of your issue. Only fasting will do that!

3. Your website has been the right inspiration for me which I needed. Today I’m in my 7th day of my 21 days water fasting. I’m doing fine and I feel great! Thank you Tallis.

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Vic,
      Thanks for sharing :-).
      That’s great you’re doing so well – and especially for someone undertaking their very first water fast. Without a lot of prior experience, most people would be frightened by 21 days! I know I would be :-). Your positive mental attitude is a huge asset!
      Congratulations on finishing your first week,
      Keep it up,

4. Polly says

Thank you so much! I plan to water fast at least twice a year! I am using it to cleanse my body from animal product and start my vegan diet! So no I plan to make it enjoyable and a lifestyle change! Your website and videos are inspirational and I will keep you abreast of my journey! Blessings

5. Polly williams says

I am starting my water fasting for the first time in my life. It is a physical and spiritual cleansing for me. Wish me success as I know this is what my body needs.

• Tallis Shivantar says

Hi Polly,

I do wish you success 😊, especially now as you begin your journey. If I can give a word of advice: let this truly be a journey and not something you simply try out now this once. To maximise long-term success and health, don’t push yourself too hard this time, so that it feels like ‘too much’ by the end. Fast with love for yourself and for your body, so that you want to return again to water fasting in the future. Long-term health is never achieved through just one fast, but rather by gradually building water fasting into your life, little bit by little bit, so that it becomes easier and easier, and more and more enjoyable.

Wishing you all the best and a Happy New Year,