Video FAQ’s

Is water fasting safe?

Many people are convinced that water fasting must be dangerous. Unfortunately, this is mostly based on fear, misinformation, and only a minimal number of actual cases. This video takes a look at all the facts, in order to help you decide whether water fasting might be for you.

Can I work during a water fast?

This video addresses the potential problems of continuing your job as usual during a water fast, and covers (1) what to expect and (2) what to do about it.

Should I fast to lose weight?

Many people consider using a water fast to lose weight. Unfortunately this often ends in failure, and sometimes even leads to weight gain afterwards. This video takes a look at the issues you should think about before beginning such a fast.

Working out and exercise during a fast: is it safe?

A lot of people who exercise or work out in everyday life consider doing the same while water fasting. If you’re thinking about it too, watch this video first – before you damage your body in the process!

How are water fasts different from juice fasts?

This video takes a look at how water fasts are different from juice fasts, and discusses the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Does healing continue after a fast?

This video looks at the way that the healing initiated during a water fast can actually continue long after the fast ends.

Water fasts versus dry fasts: how are they different in terms of detox, cleansing and healing?

Water fasts and dry fasts work differently on the body, so understanding the reasons why you’re fasting can help you to decide which kind of fast is best for you.

I’ll be adding more video FAQ’s to this page over the next few months. Stay tuned!

1. Andrea says

Also, can you do this while on blood thinners? I have clots in my brain and need to be on them

• Tallis Barker, D.Phil. says

Hi again Andrea,
      You should check with your doctor about the specific blood thinner that you’re using – and whether fasting will interfere with it. What I can tell you is that, in general, clotting factors and blood plasma viscosity all tend to remain very stable during a fast, and therefore shouldn’t cause you issues.

2. Andrea says

How about using an infrared sauna during a 10 day fast? Would this be beneficial or damaging?

• Tallis Barker, D.Phil. says

Hi Andrea,
      Thanks for writing. An infrared sauna can help support cleansing during a fast. Just be aware that your body will be more sensitive than usual, and this includes its reactions to changes in heat. So don’t overdo it, start slow, and work within your limits.

3. Gudden says

Hi Tallis, I need your help, I am 20 year old , And I have completed 24 days water fast on my own for my neck arthritis , and my neck get better now .I only sipped water nearly 4 liters everyday during my fast. I slowly started the process of refeeding , I started with papaya and in first seven days I only consumed papaya, sweet lime , tomatoes and cucumber . I followed all the necessary rules related to refeeding and fasting I have only ate some cooked food and flaxseeds from day 8 but I am going through chronic constipation , I only had a bowl movement on day 3 of refeeding but that was normal and after that I don’t have the next bowl movement yet it’s already my day 9 of refeeding it’s been six days since I haven’t gone to toilet. It’s really scaring me , What do you think I should do now? should I use a lexative or salt water flush would work ? I don’t want to take enema . Please guide me through it , it’s making me really tensed. I couldn’t slept last night because of this and one more thing I don’t feel much discomfort in my abdomen even yet. please, I beg you to leave a reply for this.

• Tallis Barker, D.Phil. says

Hi Gudden,

The first thing to know is: no-one ever died from digestive issues after a fast, so there shouldn’t be a big issue here. You DO have to be very careful in the first few days after an extended fast in order to avoid refeeding syndrome, but it sounds like you’ve done fine in that respect. It’s perfectly normal to have a bowel movement 3 days after an extended fast, and the thing to remember is that after such a long time without food the body now wants to extract every last molecule of nutrition from the food that you’re eating. This often means that, at first, bowel movements will be few and far between – and also because you’re (correctly) not eating a full volume of food.

We’ve not been working together, so without knowing exactly what you’ve been eating (as well as your previous dietary history) I can’t properly advise you. What I can say is that an enema or salt water flush is usually unnecessarily invasive after a fast, and I’ve never had to advise a client to do one. A laxative or salt water flush addresses the symptom but not the cause of the constipation, so is really just a temporary solution. It may be as simple that you need to eat more volume, or that you’ve been eating the wrong foods (although this doesn’t sound likely in your case). In the worst case, a laxative or a salt water flush won’t kill you either, though! If you decide to use a laxative, then choose a natural herbal remedy and not a chemical based formula. You’ll get through this one way or another!

4. Sean says

Have you tried using electrolyte or snake juice instead of plain water. What kind of water do you drink? Do you drink teas. What about killing parasites, have you ever combined these water fasts with parasite killing herbs etc?

• Tallis Barker Ph.D. says

Hi Sean,
      I’m not a real fan of electrolytes in most cases. In short, they make you feel good but reduce the degree of cleansing. I’ve seen this time and again among my clients.
      Any kind of water which doesn’t kill you in everyday life won’t kill you during a fast either, but obviously it’s best to go for something cleaner, such as filtered, spring or distilled.
      Yes, you can combine water fasts with herbs to accelerate the demise of parasites. A salt water flush at the beginning of the fast can also help.

5. Marilynn Valenzuela says

Thank you Tallis for the very reasonable resonant responses 👍🏽
    (no need to post this comment unless you want to)

6. Marilynn Valenzuela says

Thanks for the video! A couple of questions… would you recommend interspersing dry fasting days into an extended water fast? And second question, what do you think about doing enemas during water fasting?

• Tallis Barker Ph.D. says

Hi Marilynn,

Good questions. Dry fasting can definitely increase the cleansing power of a water fast. Inserting a 24-hour period should be totally safe if the water fast is going smoothly. For anything longer than that, I’d recommend working with an expert.

As far as enemas go, there are people who argue you should never do one because it’s invasive. There are also those who say you should do one every day in order to support cleansing. I’d take a middle road here and involve them if you start experiencing persistent detox symptoms.