Hello. I’m Dr. Tallis Barker
I’ve successfully guided over 800 clients from across the world (US, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia) through water fasts of 3-40 days. Having regularly fasted for 15 years, I became a water fasting coach after experiencing the deep cleansing and healing in my own body.
Although I coach fasts undertaken for numerous reasons (both physical and spiritual), I specialise in helping people heal from chronic illness such as:
- Long Covid
- Gut issues such as IBS, SIBO and ulcerative colitis
- Autoimmune issues such as allergies, asthma, chronic fatigue (CFS) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
- Hormonal issues such as insulin resistance, adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism
- Fibroids, ovarian cysts and even cancer
For people unfamiliar with water fasting, the idea of giving up food can be frightening. But the fact is that homo sapiens have been successfully fasting for millennia.
Many people today practice intermittent fasting as a basic lifestyle, but longer fasts are also possible in order to go much deeper into healing.
Gut / Digestive illness
You can completely recalibrate your body from the ground up, allowing yourself to heal. The way to do this is through water fasting.
Water fasting is completely safe for the vast majority of people. With guidance from an expert, you too can make the most of your fast and begin your healing journey.
We all know the most famous examples of religious 40-day fasts, but you probably haven’t heard others.
For example, the Greek mathematician Pythagoras demanded that all his students undertake a 40-day fast in order to sharpen their minds!
CHOOSING THE RIGHT FAST
extended healing fasts
LEARN HOW WATER FASTING CAN HELP!
I regularly share inspiring articles and videos to help people just like you build sustainable health and vitality.
Don’t miss out! Join today!
3-day water fast
Of all fasts, the 3 day water fast is in many ways the most important. Three days is the period your body needs to unlock your healing metabolism and begin reaping the benefits. These three days are also the stepping stone required to move on to even longer fasts.
The 3 day water fast is also often the hardest. Because of this, it’s important do everything you can do to maximise your chances of a smooth experience.
Watch my videos and read my articles for more information
FREE VIDEO FAQ’S
- Is water fasting safe?
- Water fasts versus juice fasts: how are they different, and what are the pros and cons of each?
- Water fasting for weight loss: does it work?
- Can I work during a water fast?
- Dry fasts versus water fasts: how are they different in terms of cleansing, detox and healing?
- Does healing continue after a fast?
- Can I work out and exercise during a water fast?
BENEFITS OF FASTING
DIET AND RECIPES
- Comforting kitchari stew with cauliflowerThis stew provides a comforting and delicious way to break fasts of up to 3 days. After longer fasts, it is perfect for reintroducing grains and legumes. Consisting of primarily mung beans and rice…
- Summer smoothie to break a fastA week ago I used this smoothie to break my 5 day dry fast with 2 day water fast introduction. Normally I prefer to break my fasts with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, but unfortunately orange season has long since past by this… Read more: Summer smoothie to break a fast
- Pure and perfect tomato soup to break a fastThis recipe is always a favourite at the end of a fast: warming, comforting and nutritionally perfect, packed with a wide variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants (such as lycopene, beta-carotene, potassium, Vitamins C and K). It’s so well loved that I found myself with… Read more: Pure and perfect tomato soup to break a fast
- Tasty, tangy sauerkraut soupThis is a tasty, tangy soup I enjoy especially after winter fasts – including the 7-day water fast I just finished yesterday. Before global trade overpowered local economies and foods, winter was always the time to eat preserved vegetables such as sauerkraut – especially in… Read more: Tasty, tangy sauerkraut soup
- Go-to green smoothie recipe to break a fastAfter any fast of more than a day or so, it’s important how you re-introduce food back into your diet. Oranges are a great way to break any fast, as the citrus content helps to provide a final element of detox as well as to… Read more: Go-to green smoothie recipe to break a fast
JOIN THE CONVERSATION (recent comments)
Hi Li, You’re welcome, and I’m glad you’ve found the website useful. Understanding thirst and understanding what thirst really means…
Hello Tallis, Thank you for all the incredible information and advice you’re giving here! I have a question with regards…
Hi Ron, Thanks for sharing. Good for you, aiming for a 72-hour fast! To answer your question: adjusting the dosage…
Hi Minott, Thanks for writing. There is certainly a potential danger in doing a 7-10 day water fast if you…
Hi Joy, You’re welcome! Yes, in principle fasting can and often does alleviate the withdrawal symptoms of coming off anti-depressants.…
FITNESS AND HEALTH
- Healing from Long Covid with water fastingThis article presents two case reports documenting how an extended water fast can heal Long Covid (post-acute Covid-19 syndrome). Since late 2020, I have been approached by…
- Fasting against coronavirus (Covid-19): how to boost immunity and maximize healthFor water fasting to heal Long Covid, please click on the link below for my more recent article:Healing from Long Covid with water fasting Written at the start of the pandemic, the extended article below argues that the best thing you can do to strengthen… Read more: Fasting against coronavirus (Covid-19): how to boost immunity and maximize health
- Diets, fasts and healing injuries for runnersWhen most people think of diets or fasting, they usually have weight loss in mind. Even at the best of times this is a dubious practice. Changing the way you eat by reducing calories usually results in the body conserving energy and using calories more… Read more: Diets, fasts and healing injuries for runners
- Pills, powders and potions: the reality of taking supplements while fastingOne question which persistently recurs on waterfasting.org is whether or not you should take supplements while water fasting. The majority of people want to know about vitamin supplements and, occasionally, even protein supplements. In this article I’ll deal with both, as well as other kinds… Read more: Pills, powders and potions: the reality of taking supplements while fasting
- Fasting as a healing modality to treat cancerThis video features an interview with Dr. Valter Longo, who is one of the world’s leading researchers in the use of fasting as a healing modality to treat cancer. Although the preventative effects of fasting have been well known in relation to a number of… Read more: Fasting as a healing modality to treat cancer
- Fasting as a means to improve athletic performance in endurance sportsI’m sitting down to write this having had breakfast for the first time in a week… Lately, I’ve been practising “intermittent fasting”, which revolves around lengthening the time between your last meal in the evening and your first meal the following day. It’s one of… Read more: Fasting as a means to improve athletic performance in endurance sports
SPIRIT AND SOUL
- Spiritual fasting in Lent (or any other time)25th February, 2020Tomorrow marks the beginning of what for many people is the most important time of the year in terms of spiritual fasting. For Christians, Lent constitutes the 40-day period prior to Easter, serving as a reminder of both Jesus’ 40-day fast in the… Read more: Spiritual fasting in Lent (or any other time)
- Physical and spiritual cleansing: from fear to loveDoes the thought of water fasting frighten you? It’s completely natural to feel fear before and even during your first few water fasts. After all, unlike our ancestors, you’ve probably never gone without food for more than a few hours, let alone a few days. … Read more: Physical and spiritual cleansing: from fear to love
- Facing your ego through water fastingAs important as any physical cleansing, water fasting also challenges you with emotional and spiritual blocks, bringing you face to face with your ego and fears. In a way, your journey through water fasting mirrors the entire spiritual path: both within each fast, as well… Read more: Facing your ego through water fasting
- Deeper states of consciousness while fastingOne of my favourite things to ‘do’ while water fasting is to find a spot in nature and simply sit, doing nothing, just being, staring out into the environment, remaining present and aware. Quickly, I become one with myself and the world around me. Time… Read more: Deeper states of consciousness while fasting
- Who am I?Many spiritual traditions encourage you to ask the question: ‘Who am I?’ Perhaps most famously, Ramana Maharshi taught that this is all you need to do in order to experience your true self and enlightenment. Just keep asking yourself, honestly, from the depths of your… Read more: Who am I?
DRY FASTING AND ALTERNATIVE METHODS
- Dry fast coachingI now offer dry fast coaching (as well as water fast coaching). Quite simply, dry fasting is the most powerful form of cleansing and healing that exists…
- Dry fasting: fact and fictionThe biggest hurdle to understanding dry fasting comes from the completely logical idea that if you’re not drinking, how can you flush out toxins? In fact…
- Juice fastingIf you don’t feel ready to try out water fasting, then juice fasting is a great place to start. Otherwise known as a “juice diet”, it involves the elimination of solid food from your daily consumption. In other words, instead of eating and drinking, you… Read more: Juice fasting
- Shankaprakshalana: intestinal wash as preparationWhat on earth does an intestinal wash have to do with water fasting?In one sense, nothing. But… after you get over the shock of it :-), there are certainly good reasons to contemplate such a cleanse before undertaking a water fast, especially in the case… Read more: Shankaprakshalana: intestinal wash as preparation
- Intermittent fastingIf a one-day water fast feels too frightening, beyond reach, that’s totally okay. Today in the modern world many people feel the same. Rather than pushing yourself into something you’re not ready for, intermittent fasting is a less extreme, more easily achievable goal – and… Read more: Intermittent fasting
- 5 day dry fast with 2 day introductory water fastARTICLE SECTIONS: The following article outlines the experience of my first 5-day dry fast. I do not recommend such a long dry fast to anyone, unless they already have plenty of experience with both 7-day water fasts as well as 3-day dry fasts! Intro A… Read more: 5 day dry fast with 2 day introductory water fast
- 3.5 / 4 day dry fast with introductory water fastI’ve always approached dry fasting carefully. As a generally healthy person, I’ve never had any therapeutic need to jump into a radically long fast. Also, having experienced firsthand how much stronger the detox of dry fasting is compared to water fasting, I’ve always felt that… Read more: 3.5 / 4 day dry fast with introductory water fast
- 2.5 day dry fast: dehydration as detoxThis article describes my first experience of a 2.5-day dry fast. For more information about dry fasts in general click here, and for my experience with shorter 36-hour dry fasts click here. Dehydration as detox: the phrase came to mind soon after finishing my fast… Read more: 2.5 day dry fast: dehydration as detox
- Fasting in a time of lockdown‘This is the perfect time to fast…’ I’ve heard this sentence, again and again, repeated verbatim by numerous clients since most of the world went into lockdown earlier this year as a result of Covid 19. Now that many of us are slowly returning to… Read more: Fasting in a time of lockdown
- Dry fasting and the Marathon Monks of Mount HieiOne of the most extreme forms of fasting concerns the so-called Marathon Monks (gyoja) of Mt. Hiei, Japan. This article will describe the practice in full, but first it’s important to know that the fasting itself forms only one part of an almost superhuman seven-year… Read more: Dry fasting and the Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei
- Telling friends and family about your fast (or not)Whether or not to tell friends and family you’re fasting can often be a huge dilemma. Just this last week, several visitors to waterfasting.org have brought up the subject in some shape or form. It usually goes like this: “I can’t tell anyone I know… Read more: Telling friends and family about your fast (or not)
- Enjoy the gift of food!I’ll keep this short and sweet :-). If you want to enjoy the gift of food, if you really want to appreciate the taste of every bite you eat, there’s nothing better than a water fast. It’s only by taking away food for a while… Read more: Enjoy the gift of food!
130+ PAGE PDF BUNDLE: The Complete 3 Day Water Fasting Plan
100 PAGE PDF: How to Plan, Prepare and Practise a 3 Day Water Fast
30 PAGE PDF: Dealing with detox symptoms while water fasting
my 21-day water fast
day by day
I began a journey into what I can only describe as one of the special events of my life: a 21-day water fast. Even now, it remains as fresh and vivid in my memory as if it were yesterday…